In order to attend college, you would need certificates as proof of completing your school or under-graduation. This purpose is solved with the help of academic transcripts.

A transcript has a detailed record of all the subjects you have studied in the form of marks or grades given by the institution of study. The official transcript is always received in a sealed envelope stamped and signed by the issuing authority and the student can get multiple copies of the same.

What an Academic Transcript covers?

Full Name of the Student
Full Name of the Institute with its location
Board of Education
Name of Course/Qualification
Subject-wise Score in form of Marks or Grades for all semester
These certifications, also known as Mark Sheets in India, should have a complete list or table of yearly modules/subjects and practical work that we have studied and conducted throughout the course of study.

It consists of our marks or grades or in some cases the subject-wise credit value is mentioned in it, considering the grading system followed by an institution. The next most important thing is that these transcripts should always be signed with a stamp by the registry of the institution so that it may serve as an official letter-headed paper.

What else is required along with a transcript to study abroad?

The academic transcripts covers the final scores of all your subjects. In order to show your backlog history, you need your institution to provide you with a backlog certificate.

Some universities need this certificate as a proof of whether or not you have had any backlogs. In some countries, backlogs have a huge impact on the chances of your admission. You may read about this in detail here do backlogs matter.

Documents known as Academic Transcripts:

Report Card
Diploma Supplement
Statement of Learning
Record of Achievement
Academic Record
Cumulative Record File (CRF)
Permanent Record
Transcript of Records (ToR)

It is not essential that you possess all of the above. These are just the other names of your academic transcripts and you need to have some proof to certify the qualifications you have completed in order to prove your candidature.

A transcript is also known to cover all the permanent academic record of a student, which implies to a sheet that contains the list of all the courses/subjects studied, grades received against each column, the awards and achievements of the student and also the degrees granted to the student for the entire academic programme.

There is no limit on the information that could be provided in a transcript. It may or may not have the following:

The overall grade received by the student for the entire academic course/year
Number of students in the class (overall strength of the class to compare where a particular student ranks)
Average grade of the class to specify where a particular student stands.

Where to procure a transcript from?

Transcripts are generated by the education board of conduct, which can be received from the academic institute where you have pursued your education from or via post. For the first time, a transcript is generally issued by the academic institute.

In some cases, these are difficult to be re-issued and hence should be kept carefully. For those who have lost their transcripts, they may directly contact the board of education to which their institutes were affiliated and ask for a duplicate transcript.

Which transcripts are needed for which courses?

You always need the transcripts of the latest courses studies. For instance, if you are applying for a Graduate Course, you need the transcripts for your Undergraduate Studies.

Those applying for an Undergraduate Course would need the transcripts of their Secondary School Education or Pre-University Education. The universities always specify what they need; most of the graduate schools do not need your school transcripts for Graduate or MBA courses.

Those still pursuing a course may not have access to their transcripts, but will get them upon the completion of their respective courses after the final exam results are declared by the board of conduct.

For those planning to apply for higher studies would need some or the other proof of their academics, should submit an interim/provisional transcript that can be applied from the institution of study with a detailed chart of scores or grades received by far.

There are institutes that do not provide transcripts in English. In such cases, students need to get their transcripts developed in English and provided both of the original and translated versions as proof at the time of admission. Both of the original and translated copies would need to be signed and stamped by the educational institute and the official translator respectively.

The experience of studying abroad differs than studying in India and hence it is quite certain that the application process of studying abroad is also different than that of studying in India. It is always better to take external help from the industry professionals in order to make an effective application that would help your dream come true.

Learn Robotics



  1. Thank You for this information. I do have a question. I applied for a school abroad and they asked me for my school transcripts. How can I send them my school report card. And do I also need to send both my school report card and waec results?. Thank you

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.